Our Family

Our Family

Friday, August 15, 2014

A Quick Thank You

I read a blog post today discussing how different adoption is from pregnancy.   I cannot even explain how accurate that is.  Believe me – I've been on the pregnancy path (although somewhat unconventional) and now I’m on the adoption path.  While there may be similarities, things are tremendously different.

When you’re pregnant, it’s usually obvious.  Everyone makes a big deal about it – even people you don’t know.  There’s classes to prepare you for childbirth, there’s friends who share in your excitement, and there’s a normal path that everything follows, from the number of months you carry (again, unconventional for me) to at what point you find out the gender and even to the process of the baby being born.  Oh and let’s not forget, there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.

When you’re on the adoption journey, there’s no big belly for everyone (even strangers) to touch.  There’s no baby inside you to feel kick, turn somersaults, or get hiccups.  There’s no end in sight.  You’re simply waiting.  You feel alone – like none of your friends or family truly understands the ups and downs you’re feeling, because, quite frankly, most of them don’t. Some of them may even think adoption is the "easy" way - I mean, no labor pains, right? (I'm sure some of my adoption friends either groaned or laughed out loud at that one.)

However, there was one comment in the post that I didn't quite believe was true for me – that no one was there to hold your hand and support you when you felt like it was never going to happen.  While there are many people that have asked how our journey is going and I believe do really care, there are a few people that I feel holding me up – that are holding my hand through this process and give me strength on those days where I wonder if it’s ever going to happen.

So to those people – specifically, my husband, my son (who can cheer me up by just mentioning his brother or sister – or as he says brother-sister), my best friend, and my parents – I want to say thank you.  Thank you for being my hand to hold and my support.  I love you all!


Still waiting, hoping, and praying.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great blog post!

    We never went through bio pregnancy, but were definitely "emotionally pregnant" throughout both our adoptions! :-)

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Mike! This is definitely the most emotional journey I've ever been on!

      Delete