Our Family

Our Family

Friday, March 7, 2014

A Beautiful Reminder

I was working on a blog post for this week about how I am struggling with emotions (again) but then things changed – my spirits were lightened. One minute I’m up and excited and the next I’m doubtful and worried.  It’s amazing how just a quick conversation can change your entire perspective on things!
I was walking through our front office at work this morning and spotted a man that works for one of our vendors.  As some of you may know, I spent several years working for our company in our purchasing department, so I still know several of the vendors and they will speak to me if they see me around.  This particular man, Jeff, had another gentleman with him that I have seen before in the office.  As I was walking through, Jeff spoke to me and I stopped to speak.
The last time they were in, my dad (who they were meeting with) went to lunch with them and found out that the other gentleman had adopted a daughter from China several years ago.  Any time someone mentions the word “adopt”, my ears perk up.  I immediately get interested.  I want to know more,  hear more, talk to them, etc.  Dad told me a little bit that he knew and of course, I was interested.
When I saw these gentlemen in the office today, I couldn’t remember for sure if this was the same guy that Dad had told me had adopted or not.  Jeff asked me about Dakota so, of course, I filled him in.  We talked for a little bit and something came up about the baby.  Dad then told me this was the gentleman that had adopted the little girl.  This guy asked if we were trying to adopt and we began talking in more detail.
We talked about their trip to China, how old their daughter was when they adopted her, and just various things about the adoption process.  I thoroughly enjoyed that conversation.  I love when I meet someone who has “been there” – whether it’s domestic or international – and feel like I have a bond with that person.
One of the most beautiful stories that this gentleman told me was about when his daughter was in preschool.  Her teachers had wanted her to bring something in about China and since it was Chinese New Year, she had taken some Chinese items into school.  A little boy in her class said, “Grace, I didn’t know you were from China!”  To you and I, it would be obvious – if we saw a kid that appeared to be Chinese with a set of white parents (or a black child with white parents), we would immediately make assumptions. But to this little boy, she wasn’t “Grace, the girl adopted from China.” She was “his friend, Grace.” Her ethnic features didn’t matter to him.  To me, that was beautiful.
When answering the race question for our adoption, we felt like we had to take into account how the people around us (our community, our family, etc.) felt….and that saddened me.  Why does it matter? Jon and I felt like we could take a child of any color, love it and give it a home.  However, we felt as though our community (and some family) might not be supportive.  The support didn’t matter so much – but being concerned with how they would treat him or her (and Dakota) because of it did matter to us. But as I said, that saddened me – and still does.
The reason this little boy’s response to “Grace” is so beautiful to me is that it shows us that kids don’t care – unless they’re taught to care.  Kids don’t automatically think “I can’t play with this person” because they’re different” or “I can play with her but she can’t be my girlfriend.”  They just see their friend.
I’ve heard of people who didn’t want their kids to date outside of their race or even have friends of a different race.  I’m so thankful that my dad taught me to be good to everyone and not judge others based on the color of their skin.   Actually, he taught me not to judge others.
I don’t want my children to look at someone and decide anything about that person based on the color of their skin or their ethnic features.  I want them to learn the person and decide whether or not to be friends with that person based on their personality and their attitude. I hope that I can teach them that while we may look different than some of our friends, it really doesn’t matter.  I may not be able to change the world, but hopefully, I can at least make an impression on one or two little minds.
Still waiting, hoping, and praying…

4 comments:

  1. How sad, but how true what you are saying is. So many questions about them being a different race...in my eyes..what did that matter. Really..they were children in need of a home..and we needed them just as much.....why would someone even question it?
    When I first realized that our grandchildren would be of color, one of my first thoughts was, (after I got finished with the Happy Dance..lol) was what would others reaction to their race be? I couldn't help but wonder, but it honestly didn't phase me. We already knew it wouldn't matter to us, but I wanted our family and friends to feel the same. Having said that, I remembered the first time my brother, Darrell, saw a picture of Resiana..he just started crying. He said he felt immediate compassion for her, and couldn't wait until we got home with her to meet her...still brings tears to my eyes when I think of that. I should have never wondered how they would feel..they have accepted them into our family without hesitation. But, I knew there would be some to question why we would "do" that to children. Bring them into a race not their own and try to make them fit. But, they didn't have to try. They were the missing peices to our family puzzle...peices that were scattered thousands of miles apart, then brought together thru prayer and His will...race wasn't an issue..completing our family was. It didn't matter if He chose to send us one of another race. HE chose the children for our family! I mean, it's not like going to a grocery store and picking the right child on the shelf. It's accepting what the Lord has for you..just as you would a natural born child. How many of it's attributes can we decide on? Not it's hair color, eye color..we take what the Lord sends us, girl, boy. Both...lol.
    Our skin color may not be the same, but we all bleed red. We all have eyes, hair and breathe the same air. We cry, laugh, eat, and sleep... just alike. These children have basic, human needs just as much as any child of our race. Who says that we should not take one of these children in and give it a loving home just because it's skin is not of our color?
    As far as how they are treated, our world is so diversified now, they fit right in. And most of the school children know that the kids are adopted and think it's cool to have someone from so far away in their class. They have done excellent in school. Our church family has been unbelievably supportive in our journey with adoption. They've rejoiced, cried and have truly accepted these children with open arms and hearts.
    I don't mean to sound as if I am trying to sway any decision you've made. Just the fact that you are opening your home to a child, endears me to you..I just feel very passionate about the race issue being an issue! Ha Ha
    I'll close with this... what a testimony we already have with the oldest of our adopted grandchildren, Carter. The Lord has already given him the Holyghost..he was handpicked from an ocean away to serve Him! And he is as "brown as a butterbean" as my Granny used to say Ha Ha.... The story of how they adopted Carter is nothing short of amazing..the Lord heard a desperate birthmothers prayer, and knew just who to send the baby to...If the Lord himself looked beyond the color of his skin and saw an honest heart..who are we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the response, Sis. Joyce! I love hearing/reading about all of Bro. Michael and Sis. Crystal's kids...I could read/hear them almost all day!

      Delete