Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

True Friendship Through the Wait

“It’s like waiting for your water to break, isn’t it? Only you don’t know how far along you are.”
This is one of my favorite quotes I’ve seen related to the adoption process…and it came from my best friend.  She has never been through this process, but has been by my side.  She’s heard my fears, my worries, and my updates.  She’ll ask if I’ve gotten any more baby feet (our agency sends pictures of baby feet when a forever family has been created).  She encourages me, like when I worried that no one would “pick us” because we have a biological child.  She is there for me – more than anyone else other than Jon and my parents. I’m so thankful to have her in my life.
If you’ve ever been pregnant, you completely understand the normal process.  You find out you’re expecting – usually around 5-6 weeks- and get a due date.  At about 18-20 weeks, you can find out whether the baby will be a boy or girl.  You have ultrasounds to see the baby and have a pretty good idea of at least the month that the baby will be born. If you (unlike me) carried your baby at least close to term, you probably got to the point where you were just waiting for it to happen.  You knew once you reached a certain point, delivery was inevitable (even though it might not have felt like it).
Now, imagine finding out you’re expecting, but having no due date. No ultrasounds.  Nothing.  All you know is that you are expecting a baby at some point but you have no idea if you are 2 months along, 5 months along, or 9 months.  All you know is that (hopefully) you will have a baby at some point in the future.  That’s kind of how this is.  I’m waiting for “the call” (aka water to break) but have no idea when it will happen (how far along I am).
My friend followed up that quote with another that is full of encouragement: “The day before your life changes forever is just like any other day.”  This reminds me that even though I don’t know when or how much longer, the day before will be just like today.  I will likely be at work on a normal day thinking about what needs to be done either at work or home, maybe getting ready to plan our weekend or what day I will go get groceries and then suddenly one phone call could change it all.  One phone call could make our family of three become a family of four.
In the meantime, I’m thankful for my husband and my son, who I think will be an excellent big brother.  I’m thankful for the support of my parents.  I don’t know what I would do without them. Honestly,I would have guessed that my dad would’ve been the more excited one about the baby but, while he is excited, I think my mom is almost as anxious as I am.  I’m thankful for my church family - if you’ve never been in a church where the members feel more like family than acquaintances, I strongly encourage it.  I’m thankful for every time that God has sent me encouragement and strength. 
Finally, I’m thankful for my friend.  She has absolutely been my rock over the past year and a half.  I never realized how much I needed her until very recently.  Even when her first son was born, I didn’t think about it.  When she was getting ready to have her second son, I started worrying on the way to the hospital.  What if something happened to her? It was then that I realized how much I NEED her.  I am so thankful to have a true friend that I can talk to about pretty much anything – even when I’m in a selfish and emotional state – and not feel judged or told I shouldn’t feel that way.  So, to my friend, THANK YOU for everything and I love you!
Do I still worry about not being picked? Absolutely.
Do I still wonder when and if it’s going to happen? Of course.
But as we were reminded this week, God’s timing is not our timing. 
Still waiting, hoping, and praying…

7 comments:

  1. You did such a great job capturing what the wait feels like. I could echo these words. We have a son who is almost 5 and are currently waiting to adopt (nearing the 2 year mark)... Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krista - that is almost exactly where we are! Our son just turned 5 and we have been waiting to adopt since May of 2012. Thank you for your response! Good luck with your adoption!

      Delete
    2. YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY KIND OF LIKE SOMEONE THAT IS HAVING TO DO THE INVETRO THING I GUESS (I THINK THAT IS WHAT THEY CALL IT) YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN IT WILL TAKE YOU JUST WAIT AND PRAY AND WE ARE PRAYING TOO. GOD HAS A CHILD SOMEPLACE (OR WILL HAVE) THAT NEEDS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY TO LOVE AND RAISE IT FOR HIM LOVE YOU AND WE ARE STILL PRAYING AND LOOKING

      Delete
    3. THE ANONYMOUS IS SIS EDITH AND BRO LONSIE WE LOVE YOU, BRO JOY AND DAKOTA SO MUCH

      Delete
    4. We love you too!!!!! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Holly B,
    Amen, sister! I really didn't have such a friend (except my mother) who understood and respected my anguish as I navigated 6 years of miserable infertility treatments then 2 years of the TOUGH adoption process. Honestly, that was my primary motivation in writing my book, The Eye of Adoption. I wanted other women struggling to conceive or adopt to have a friend ---me--- who understands.

    I'd love for you to read the book and share it with your followers and friends. Let me know if you're interested. Just email me at jdyer415@yahoo.com.

    (Unless I've already sent it to you. Sometimes I lose track.)

    Love,
    Jody
    http://www.jodydyer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jody, I read your book when you offered if in November - it is my absolute favorite book on adoption! Our agency had recommended it previously and it was on my wish list so I took advantage of the free month. I loved it! I actually recommended it to my best friend to read because some of the things you talked about were subjects we'd already discussed. I also recommended it to my Facebook friends right after I read it. Again, I absolutely loved it! Thank you for the comment!

      Delete